Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Roasted potato salad recipe

I've had the biggest craving for potato salad lately, but being on a diet, I didn't want to do the usual deli salad full of mayo and without much in the way of veggies. I also wanted one that could stand alone as a main dish.

Armed with the criteria of light with some veggies and good vegetarian protein in it, I went on an internet search. I found nothing that exactly fit the bill, but I did find this one and worked from it.

I was really intrigued by the idea of doing a salad with roasted potatoes. Roasted potatoes are my specialty, so my first modification of the original recipe was to roast with all the herbs I typically use (rather than just salt).

I also subbed dijon mustard for regular yellow, used shallots instead of onion, added in some capers, traded hard-boiled eggs for the chicken in the original recipe, and topped mine with some chopped cashews.

The result was exactly what I wanted.

Roasted potato salad (serves 4 as a side dish or 2 hungry folks as an entree)

2 lbs. small red-skin potatoes, quartered
Olive oil
Salt
2 shallots, minced
Four cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. minced rosemary
1 tsp. dried sage
1 cup green beans, trimmed and blanched

1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup nonfat milk
2 tbsp. dijon mustard

3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 tbsp. capers

1/4 cup roasted cashews, chopped

Toss potatoes with olive oil and salt to taste and roast for 30 minutes at 425, turning every 10 minutes

Add the herbs, shallots, garlic and green beans to the potatoes (add additional oil and salt if necessary) and roast an additional 20-30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

Let the potato mixture cool while you mix the dressing (mayo through mustard). Toss the potato mixture with the dressing, eggs, tomatoes and capers. Chill for at least two hours.

Serve topped with chopped cashews.

2 comments:

kristen said...

i have potatoes and eggs that need to be used. this looks PERFECT!

beagle said...

YUM! That sounds good!